Monday, January 7, 2008

Halfway there...

Today was very exciting. I am six weeks into a 22 week training for the marathon I am signed up for. Before I started this, 10 miles (Broad Street Run) was the longest I had run. Today, I ran 13 miles in 132 minutes! I am so excited. Sore and a little tired, yes, but really excited. The weather was perfect (60 and sunny, no wind).

I read two books on marathon training and it seems that consistency is the key...running frequently with gradual increases in the mileage. With working nights and only having 3 child free days a week, I was worried I wouldn't be able to do this, but I am making it work! Last week was a low week in how many miles I ran due to Charlie's tubes, three nights of work in a row, and freezing weather on the days I had to run. We have a nice treadmill in our basement but I can run 7 miles tops on it, and it's like pulling teeth. The whole time I'm watching a movie on the computer and thinking about the laundry upstairs, the bathrooms that need to be cleaned, then the phone rings, or the doorbell rings...I don't do well with it.

Running outside is like mental therapy to me. My favorite is 5-6 miles outside. I can clear my head, feel good about what I am doing, and it doesn't kill me! 13 miles hurts a little but it should get easier. According to what I've read, 20 miles is the max you should run during training. If you run marathons alot, you can run more, but for someone like me who's not a novice but far from an experienced runner, I am running with the goal of finishing in less than 5 hours. Anytime I get complacent and don't feel like going for a long run, I think, "once I run the marathon, I can turn 30 (yuck!) and then try having baby number 2 (yeah!)". It's a great motivator actually! We also just booked a vacation for mid-may that we will be taking sans Charlie. It's a cruise out of San Juan, PR that goes to 6 Caribbean ports and we have a balcony room...heaven! One more thing to keep me running!

No comments: